Friday 19 June 2009

The Lord giveth...................

................and the utter bastards taketh away.
I have been unseasonably jolly and upbeat in the last week. Mainly due to management buoying our spirits with uplifting news about 'investment' and 'new troops'. I have to admit I was fooled. I honestly thought they were going to start creating a new future for us downtrodden proles.
But, fuck me, if I wasn't wrong.
Without going into too much detail, instead of moving the products forwards they are taking a massive retrograde step which involves, among others, a drastic loss of the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning - editorial space.
It is, they say, short term but I can't help feeling that these evil weasels and purveyors of false hope and mistruth are lying out of their puckered arses.
I can't help but think that once the bean counters see the revenues they are making from these 'news-lite' editions they will never go back.
With less edit space we can then look forward to a need for less reporters and subsequently less subs. Fuck it we could even drop a snapper or two.....why not combine a couple of desks and cut out a couple of bosses.
Look at all the lovely profits rolling in.
I could understand this approach - the redundancies, the cuts in pages and distribution and promotion if we were losing money.
Funny thing is we ain't. We just ain't making as much profit as last year and that really sucks balls.
It is funny how the very people bleating about the demise of this beautiful and valuable industry are the same ones destroying it with their short-sighted, profit-grabbing, greedy bullshit.
Only one good thing has come of this.
I'm feeling mean again.

No comments:

Post a Comment